Wednesday

Simple Anxiety Treatment Centering Technique

When it come to anxiety treatment it amazes me that so many anxiety treatment centers, doctors and psychologists persist in using old school over-complicated techniques.

When I was first searching for an anxiety cure I found that the amount of advice, most of it really terrible, just put more fuel on the fire.

Each time I look online I find yet another “expert” reselling the same old ideas. Grab a paper bag to breath into and practice positive thinking. I know you've probably heard them all a million times before.

So these methods are OK, they might get through a mild rough patch. But what about a severe attack that's coming down on you? What if there is no paper bag!

I want to share a simple technique I use to help me control my focus when I notice the pressure building a little and my level of agitaion rises.

Here goes…

20 Second Countdown

When you feel the anxiety attack building do this.

Tell the anxiety it's got just 20 seconds to hit full force, not one second longer. After 20 seconds the time is up and it has to back off and quit bugging you.

You are giving permissionfor a full blown attack but controlling the time.

Whatever it is you're feeling or expect to feel it's got less than half a minute.

-20 seconds for your heart to blow a hole through your chest.

-20 seconds to lose control, get nasuea and the shakes.

-20 seconds to pass out and fall down.

Get the idea?

You're setting a limit, a boundary and rather like a game of poker you are calling for your anxiety attack to show it's cards or leave the table.

This always worked great for me becuase no matter the situation I was gaining control. Gaining confidence.

Now start a slow 20 second countdown, as you get to the final 10 seconds assert your control further by counting down in fractions. A little like warning a small child, 5 seconds, 5 and 3/4 seconds. All the way to zero - now time is up.

Deep down you'll know there is really nothing to fear.

Best of all my anxiety attack always folded, threw the cards down and left the room.

This is just one method that really worked for me. I didn't make it up myself. I cured my anxiety by using methods I learned from two great teachers. I've included a link to their websites on the left.

They do give me a little money for sending them visitors which helps me run this blog and my other free resources to help other suffurers.

No comments:

Post a Comment